Monday, June 27, 2016

Sew House Seven Tea House Top

Pretty in pink?




I was attracted to this pattern right away. You know how I feel about this style... relaxed fit, cut-on sleeves, v-neck, no closures (see here, here and here for similar examples). I love the tie waist, too, and the subtle bust shaping through the princess-esque seams where the bodice connects to the yoke. The pattern samples were just lovely. And when I saw the lovely chambray version made by Devon of Miss Make on Instagram, I was sold. 


The Tea House pattern has a v-neckline with front and back neck yokes, front seaming, angled pockets, a back neck box pleat, cuffed dolman short sleeves, two different tie options, and three length options (top/blouse, knee-length dress, and tea-length dress). I opted for view A, the top with the wide waist ties. I figured I would try the shirt version of the pattern out first, then go for the dress version with the pockets (BTW: love those angled pockets!!) if it worked out. Which it did!


My fabric is some lovely, lightweight, vaguely paisley/floral cotton lawn from Bangkok fabric company, Belleboo. I picked it out in Bangkok's fabric district with the help of Jennifer of We Bought a Manor when she was in town a few months ago. 


In retrospect, this print is a little bit busy for this pattern, obscuring the nice seamlines. But it disguises my shoddy princess seam sewing, so in that sense it's a win! It's also a little on the girly side for my style, but it goes with my new measuring tape bangle bracelet, purchased from the gift shop at the Queen Sirikit Museum of Textiles here in Bangkok. I highly recommend this museum if you're ever in town... stunning royal garments from the past 70 years and some amazing local handwoven fabrics.


This was my first time sewing with a Sew House Seven pattern. I found the instructions to be quite thorough, with lots of helpful construction tips and tricks to avoid common pitfalls or make certain steps easier (e.g.: avoiding a gapey v-neck, turning under a curved edge, etc.). Additionally, I almost fell on the floor laughing at the pattern's use of the term "crackstitch" for stitch-in-the-ditch. I'd never heard that term before. I don't know why, but it seriously struck my funny bone while sewing and continues to make me giggle even now.


Size-wise, the pattern has a pretty generous range (up to size 20, a 52" bust/59" hip). My measurements put me at 14 on top, 16 at the hip. Judging by the finished measurements, though, I decided there was enough ease in the relaxed fit skirt to just make a straight size 14. A good choice.


The pattern is a pretty quick sew, although it's best to take your time easing in the yoke/bodice seams, which are princess seam-ish in the front and circular in the back. I say clip your seams first, for sure.


I'll definitely make the Tea House pattern again, although maybe I'll go for a solid or solid-ish color fabric to show off the nice yoke lines a bit better. I like how the pattern samples play with the direction of the pattern to show the seamlines even though it's all one fabric. Maybe a rayon challis would be nice to get some more drape?