Tuesday, February 4, 2014

One Fabric, Two Tops

Tim and I went to Bangkok's Chinatown last weekend as it seemed to be one of the few places unaffected by the Bangkok Shutdown protests. When Tim volunteers to go to the fabric area, I don't say no.  Plus we wanted to get some noodles and check out a temple we read about. 

We had an agenda for the fabric shopping, on a hunt for fabrics to go with specific patterns, but I also picked up three meters of this soft and flowy mystery fabric with a print that I dig.  I liked the mustard/olive background color, the feel of the fabric, and the price (55 baht per meter = $1.67 per meter right now).  I had one top in mind for it, but ended up with enough fabric for two, so, boom.  Two tops for $5?  Don't mind if I do.

First: the Weekend Getaway Blouse by Liesl & Co.  I had made this shirt a few months ago and liked it, but didn't love it.  I think it was a poor fabric choice on my part- not drapey enough.  Also, it was a bit too big for me.  So, on this one I went down a size and used my new mystery fabric.  I am gonna give it another emphatic "Meh."  I think it's just not the pattern for me... too boxy, yes?  

Also: this fabric was hard to work with.  Slippery as hell, making it difficult to cut.  It looked like a dog had chewed it vaguely along the pattern lines after I was done with it.  Sigh.


Second: the Meghan peasant blouse by Sis Boom, a personal favorite of mine.  I'd never made this pattern in anything but quilting-weight cotton, so I was curious about how it would work in a drapey-er fabric.  Pretty well, methinks.  I used the remainder of the fabric, so it's somewhere between dress and tunic length right now, but I might chop it of to shirt length.