Monday, March 1, 2010

Roasted Cabbage with Lemon

I'll admit it: cabbage is far from my favorite vegetable.

I bought a head of green cabbage from the CSA this week because the winter veggie selection is getting pretty slim... I wasn't super interested in a slaw of any sort. I wanted something warm, and this roasted cabbage recipe from the other Martha, via foodgawker, via eat.repeat, looked like a potential winner- the photos looked really tasty.
It was a winner! Super simple: cut the head of cabbage into eighths, brush with olive oil and salt and pepper, roast at super high heat and sprinkled with lemon juice. I bet it would like some garlic and/or red pepper flakes, too. This is basically the same recipe I use for roasting broccoli and cauliflower... makes sense since they're all in the Brassica family.

Give it a try! We served it with simple sauteed chicken in wine sauce, a la Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything."